Dry powder fire extinguishers
There are 2 types of dry powder fire extinguishers – The standard and The specialist.
Let us explain all in our simple guide below
Summary of the standard Dry Powder extinguisher:
The Standard dry powder fire extinguisher is a very versatile and it can put out effectively any kind of fire. although they are not recommended for use in enclosed tight spaces. Please see the link for the full article explaining the correct use of dry powder fire extinguishers in confined spaces.
They are also known as:
- The ABC fire extinguishers
- The Multi-purpose fire extinguishers
- The Dry chemical fire extinguishers
The Dry powder fire extinguisher uses:
The Standard dry powder fire extinguisher
- The Fire that involves flammable solids,such as paper, wood, and textiles (‘class A’ fires)
- The Fire that involves flammable liquids, such as petrol, diesel, and paint (‘class B’ fires)
- The Fire that involves flammable Liquids, gaseous fires, like butane and methane (‘class C’ fires)
- Live Electrical fire's that involve electrical equipment up to 1000 volts
The Specialist dry powder fire extinguisher
- The Fire that involve the flammable metal, lithium ( The L2 powder extinguisher only)
- The Fire involving all other flammable metals ( The M28 powder extinguishers only)
Please do not use dry powder fire extinguishers for:
- Fires involving cooking oil, olive oil,butter or chip pan fires (‘class F’ fires)
- Fires the involves electrical equipment if the voltage exceeds 1000 volts AC or DC
- Fires in enclosed spaces
- Fires that have flammable metals please make sure to use a specialist dry powder fire extinguisher
How do you identify a dry powder fire extinguisher on your premises:
- A BLUE coloured label stating ‘Powder’
- This will be identified by a fire extinguisher ID sign fixed close by – ‘Powder Extinguisher’
The sizes of water fire extinguishers available in Ireland:
- 1 kg
- 2 kg
- 3 kg
- 6 kg
- 9 kg
How does the dry powder fire extinguisher work:
The Dry powder fire extinguisher smother's the fire by forming a barrier between the fuel and the source of oxygen.
As the dry powder extinguisher does not cool the fire like a water fire extinguisher does, there is always a small risk of the fire re-ignition.
The Pros and Cons of the dry powder fire extinguisher:
The Pros: They work on most types of fire; they suppress the fire very fast; the specialist dry powder fire extinguisher is the only fire extinguisher that work's on flammable metals.
The Cons: There is a slight danger of the fire re-igniting; when discharged, the dry powder can spread over a huge area leaving residue;this can affect your vision when discharged and could be inhaled if used in enclosed spaces.
Who would need a dry powder fire extinguisher on their premises?:
The Dry powder fire extinguisher is ideal for open or outdoor environments with the risk of several different types of fire, especially those involving chemicals, fuel, or vehicles. Examples include:
- Petrol station forecourts
- commercial boiler rooms
- Flammable liquid storage facilities
- Large workshop premises
- Fuel tankers
The dry powder fire extinguisher does extinguisher electrical fires involving equipment under 1000 volts AC or DC, we would always recommend also having CO2 extinguishers on site where there is this kind of fire risk, such as a kitchen, or where electric heaters are used in a premises.
If you think you need dry powder fire extinguishers, or you’re not exactly sure what you need, please get in touch with our friendly team by calling +353 (0)1 839 5116
How to use a dry powder fire extinguisher in your premises:
Removing a safety pin
In all cases 1st remove the safety pin to break the anti-tamper seal, and stand far back from the fire.
Please Remember – do not use the dry powder extinguisher in enclosed areas.
Using the Fire extinguisher:
- Aim at the base of the fire and move the jet rapidly backwards and forwards.
- For an electrical fire: Please Make sure to switch off the source of power when it is safe to do so, then direct the jet of the powder straight at the fire.
All of our extinguishers come with a guarantee to Irish standard I.S.291:2015 and we will fit and commission them for you on your premises.
Contact us today for a free site survey. +353 (0)1 839 5116
So if you are interested in your home security, business security, fire/intruder alarms, safety systems, emergency lighting, fire extinguishers, access control, CCTV systems maintenance contracts serviced by a one stop solution service provider, with one point of contact, one invoice, get in touch now.
Get in touch with us today and one of our friendly, knowledgeable team members will discuss your project and outline how we can help secure your business premises or home.